Thursday, March 27, 2008

Frequently asked questions about my fleeing the country:

1) Um, what?? WHY?
I got a job! I will be working with an NGO called WINGS (www.wingsguate.org) for the next eighteen months. The organization does work in family planning and reproductive health, and I was hired to coordinate their program for men. I won’t be the one marching up to men asking, “Hey, how ‘bout a vasectomy?” but I’ll be supervising the man who does. I’ll mainly be working in the office doing administrative work, talking to donors, and facilitating the program.

2) Are you in trouble/a spy/running away from home/etc.?
That depends on whether you can wire me money…

3) How can I get a hold of you?
A safe bet would be through the office. The office number is (502) 7832.9325 and the address is 7a Avenida Sur numero 3a, Antigua, Sacatepequez 03001, Guatemala. A word of warning on mail, though: I have heard that letters are likely to take weeks to arrive, if they arrive at all. Packages are more likely to arrive than letters. Phone calls and internet are apparently cheap and easy, too. I’ll give out my number once I have one. For a while, I’ll be living with a family, then maybe moving on to my own apartment.

4) What about your studly boyfriend?

He is studly. He’s not coming, unfortunately, but we’re hoping to stay together and make the long-distance thing work. Any advice?

5) Can I come visit you?
YES PLEASE! Antigua is easy to travel to, very tourist-friendly, and beautiful. A great place to learn Spanish, too. In other words, PLEASE COME VISIT ME WHENEVER YOU WANT I WILL BE SO HAPPY AND WE’LL HAVE A GREAT TIME I PROMISE.

4 comments:

Andy said...

I'm glad you mentioned something about your studly boyfriend -- I was wondering but afraid to ask...

As far as the long-distance thing goes: Carrie and I survived through a four month and a two month international separation in the days before e-mail and cheap international calls. We carried on a lively and in-depth correspondence through old-school snail-mail (it was like a super-slow-motion tennis match, with 3 weeks passing between the serve and the return). That cheesy old song, "Reunited, and it feels so good" was never so true as during our reunions at LAX.

Having said that the long-distance relationship thing can be done, let me also say that the challenges of separation will reveal whether or not your relationship has what it takes to "go the distance." Carrie and I were able to view our separation as a time of enrichment and growth for the one who was overseas that would only enhnace and deepen our relationship once we stood on the same shores.

Ben said...

Great to be part of your journey Robin. May God's peace rest on you today. bdub

Unknown said...

Mom's poem
To Robin from Mom

A new phase in your life you are about to start
And I remind myself we are never apart
Yet there is a tearing a pain so deep
In that part of me that wanted to keep
My precious girl so close to me
To touch and know and everyday see
But the truth is that it means more to me
That you are willing to let yourself be
All that God wants you to be, instead of just being with me.
I pray that the path I helped you pave
Will guide you and bless you and keep you safe.
In every moment please feel my love
And follow now your guide within and above
You are a gift to me that I was asked to raise
And now I am asked to release you with praise
For all that your life has planned for you
To thine own self be true
My love for you fills my heart
Yet in your life I am only a part
Which is so hard sometimes that I cry
I never want to say good bye
Reminders that each person in our life is a gift
A temporary wonder that gives us a lift
I still hope you’ll live closer someday
So we can share together and many ways
And I am grateful for all we do share
I appreciate how much you do care
Your journey is your own, we are all alone
I have tried to take your pain, but I can’t do that again
I am awed at the fantastic adult who I now see
And look forward to knowing more of who you will be
Thank you for all you talk with me about
In the purity of my love for you, there is no doubt
Blessings on your way my child,
I have shone you what I know to be true
You are in God’s hands now
And must take his path for you.

Robin Chancer said...

Thank you so much, Andy and Ben! I really appreciate your insight and well wishes. I will take them to heart.

Also, I know I've asked you this before and somehow blocked it out...but does anybody have Keely's e-mail address?