I missed you too!!
Last weekend we had Monday off--it was a holiday called ¨The Day of the Army.¨ That´s interesting in itself...considering Guatemala´s history. The activist group NISGUA managed to get the traditional parade canceled, and threw its own parade to commemorate people who died during the war.
I went with my friend Marialos to a beach on the Pacific coast in a town called Monterrico, about two hours away. Might as well have some fun, right? ...right?

I have more pictures!
Coming down from the highlands, the landscape changes dramatically--it turns lush and green and HOT and humid. The beaches are black sand, which is cool to see but makes it even hotter. The water is warm, with one heck of an undertow (hence no one was swimming). I expected the town to be touristy, but it´s not really. It´s still pretty poor, with dirt roads, a few comedores, and a few hotels. Most of the tourists there seemed to be from Guatemala.

I apologize that I did not take pictures of the man in a home-made thong groaning in pleasure in a communal pool. Needless to say, we left that hostel (I am suddenly aware that I´m not 21 anymore) and found a dreamy family-owned place with hammocks and our own room. My favorite part was drinking a coconut through a straw. And the sunbathing turtle.
No comments:
Post a Comment