Whew. Where do I start on this one. My thesis: (many) psychiatrists are (medically speaking) Loony.
My interactions with psychiatrists have been...unexpected. As far as I know, they are held to the standard of being the experts in my field. They are highest on the hierarchy of authority. The more serious or complicated a client is, the more likely the first line of defense will be Send Her to a Psychiatrist. Therapists look to them for the most accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations.
Thus, I always expect a psychiatrist to say something like: "Here's her history, and her symptom profile, so here's my diagnosis and what I recommend." Ha! Wouldn't that be great. So far, it hasn't gone that way.
They always have their own ideas:
"Eh, she's just a little histrionic and needs someone to talk to."
Doc: "You know, it's okay to be gay." My client: "I know, but I'm not gay." Doc: "No but really, it's okay to be gay." My client: "I know, but I'm not gay. I'm here because I can't sleep."
They are often lacking in the gender and sexuality department.
"Your (gay, male, Hispanic) client reminds me of this Korean girl I used to see. She lived with this guy for a while who put her through school in exchange for sex. In the end, it really wasn't that bad of a setup." <--phjiodaweamkdopugwWTF??
Doc: "Did you know this drug helps with PMS?"
Client: "Yes. You've told me this many times."
2 months later
Doc: "Hey, did you know this drug helps with PMS?"
Client: "And no, I didn't have PMS in the first place."
With my clients, no matter what the problem: PTSD, anxiety, depression, impulsiveness, insomnia, being a human being--80% of the time they are prescribed celexa and trazodone. You don't like it? Meh, give it four weeks. You still hate it? Meh, give it four more weeks.
I'm sure there are perfectly logical reasons behind why they do these things. But all too often, my clients end up dropping out of treatment and deciding quite reasonably that their psychiatrists are the "los locos."
2 months later
Doc: "Hey, did you know this drug helps with PMS?"
Client: "And no, I didn't have PMS in the first place."
With my clients, no matter what the problem: PTSD, anxiety, depression, impulsiveness, insomnia, being a human being--80% of the time they are prescribed celexa and trazodone. You don't like it? Meh, give it four weeks. You still hate it? Meh, give it four more weeks.
I'm sure there are perfectly logical reasons behind why they do these things. But all too often, my clients end up dropping out of treatment and deciding quite reasonably that their psychiatrists are the "los locos."
2 comments:
you should pick up the book "the spirit catches you and you fall down" great book about culture/western medicine clash.
I love that book!! I read it a few months ago and it has been on my mind ever since.
Post a Comment