What a life this is. Gratitude flows throughout me.
I moved to NC. I found a job. I have three weeks to play before I start. I'll be able to do full-time therapy in a very professional agency. Dear friends are getting together this week for a bachelorette party. Next month, more dear friends are throwing us a wedding shower. I am floored.
I like that word, floored. Like the floor is swept away and I'm levitating.
Lately I've enjoyed asking couples for their secrets and advice for a happy marriage. One lady really struck me with her answer. She and her husband were celebrating their 35th anniversary. As she struggled to come up with an answer to my question, she said, "I don't know. It was just...easy."
That really stayed with me. I'd never heard someone say that before, especially about a 35-year marriage. It sort of blew my mind a little bit, to think that such a thing is possible.
Living together has been...just...easy. And fun! There are so many little things we'll never take for granted. Like being able to cuddle as we fall asleep. Tiny little moments, glances, running into each other in the hallway. Coming home...and he's there. Seeing each other through all times of day and night, all moods, all the little daily minuscule nothings that make up intimacy. Going out together on a Tuesday night. Being able to serve each other in a million small ways, like doing the dishes, or taking out the trash, or finding a stolen laugh.
Before I met him, I lived with Emily. Emily had had many wonderful men in her life. She'd been in a long, healthy relationship for six years. She had nothing but great things to say about her boyfriend, and was bursting with good faith toward men and relationships. She blew my mind. She helped me see a whole new world. Her pure faith rubbed off on me. I consciously said to myself, "Yes, there are tons of fabulous men out there. They're everywhere." And then, boom.
I am ready, at any moment, for my mind to be blown wide open.
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment