Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Sister's Toast

We did it! We got married!


It was a truly magical night, full of hope, love, an amazing community and pure joy. One of the best moments that I will remember forever was my sister's toast. When she got up to speak, the whole room was enthralled, with everyone hushing and then laughing and then hushing and then crying. She inspired everyone sitting there with us, taking part in our commitment. I wanted to share it with the world.


Hi there- For those of you who don't know me. I'm Nicole. Robin's sister. I've always been Robin's one and only sister and Thank God for that .... Because she's an incredible person and I am really glad to have that special "in" -- to get on the list of people who are lucky enough to know her big heart and insightful, courageous spirit. To get invited to this party. So, I'll just start this by gushing - Rockin' Robo Robin I LOVE YOU.


For those of you who just started listening... Hi, I'm Nicole. Jason's sister-in-law. I've been Jason's one and only sister in law for about an hour … And so far he's an incredible person -- kind and courageous and funny PLUS I get to send him texts with random medical questions - like why does my stomach growl and do you think I'll lose my injured toe nail (Here's a pic)?? So 5' 17" Jason "Chance" Chancer (man who loves nick names) You have officially earned another one … You are Uncle Jason to those little flower girls over there. (Ella stood on a chair and just BEAMED.) And we are lucky to have you as part of our family.


Robin and Jason care about family. I've seen it in the way they love on my kids. I've seen it in they way they brought our two families together. We've all seen it in things like the blessing of the rings. We each have a part in this marriage - in supporting and loving you two amazing people as you promise to love and support each other most of all.


Robin has mentioned at least 4 times over the last year how much it means to her when people are genuinely excited for them and their engagement. As she told clients, friends, or just wore a veil around Las Vegas… people have sincerely wished her and Jason well and been excited for them. I've seen this touch your heart deeply because family and community matter to you both so much…

But it also struck me...


No matter what we see happening around us in the world, there's something sacred about marriage … two amazing people, who are awesome on their own, team up and promise to love each other unconditionally for their entire lives … and we all feel a sense of Hope; Some sense that this is what life's all about.


Robin and Jason - your marriage is more than just a ceremony. You are the hope of the world. :)

So, since we all have so much riding on this sucker, I (as your matron of honor… AKA Lead Bridesmaid) have a little pep talk for you before the game clock starts.


Be grateful. Love is a gift. Treat each other like the person you are hoping to marry soon rather than the person you are now stuck with. Robin is a gift. Jason is a gift. Remember you don't owe each other anything. Let each touch, smile, word, and dish washed be an unexpected gift.


Let it go. Whatever is bugging you about the other one… LET IT GO. Quickly. Decide to love them more than that thing that bugs you. Let it go.


Hang on. Whatever it is you love about each other… there will be days it is not true. Robin will not be beautiful or kind or well-spoken, Jason will not be funny or brave or intelligent… these times might be short but it will be long enough to make you question everything. So hang on. Dig in - To loving the deepest, most epic and personal parts of each other. The parts you cannot list or recite. The parts that defy explanation because they are the core of him or her. Love that part on the hard days.

Share everything with each other. Protect each other. Love each other. Never give up. Never put anything or anyone above your marriage.


We believe in you. We are so excited for you! We support and love you both. We've blessed and warmed those rings… now, love the heck out of each other.

No comments: