All I could think was Handel's Messiah: "Haaaaaalelluja! Haaaaaaalelluja! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!"
Not even a week into his presidency, President Obama made another bold move: he changed the so-called "global gag rule," which prohibited the distribution of federal funds to international agencies who provide abortion information/counseling.
The rule was created by Reagan in 1984, then overturned by Clinton, then put back in effect by Bush, and now overturned again by Obama.
Obama is quoted as saying, "We need to stop policiticizing this issue."
"Halleeeeeelujah!"
Smart of him to do it now, while our country is distracted by many other things. Looks like this issue will not be one on which Obama "governs from the center." This will change so much. I imagine it will dramatically change USAID policies and funding provisions--from what I learned, the agency focuses a great deal of money on family planning services around the world. This will surely save lives, and most likely keep more people out of poverty. Mr. President, stop making me so freakin' teary-eyed.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay! Changes in reproductive health policies have long term implications in the lives and welfare of so many people!
Also, I'm glad he's doing so fast so that those fundamentalist 'miss it' in the excitement of being kicked out of power! yay again!
hallelujah! in fact, it's a good move for true anti-abortionists too because there will now be much less abortions (especially unsafe ones) with less restrictions on funding for FP programs. everybody wins and just the ignorant remain complaining.
Post a Comment